I did manage to pull together Act II of my story, and that's what I brought to the biweekly crit group vivisection yesterday. Here's what they said:
For the Win
- This section was "intriguing." (I get that a lot these days)
- Good character details: e.g. being a member of MUFON; scene on the train ride in; what she wears to work
- Apparently, the way I wrote a section showing "The Battle of the Moon" was 95% win, in terms of its description and most of the details of how my protagonist came upon it.
- Good question on one reader's part: I never described wtf MUFON was.
- I ended Act II with a confusing situation. Out of seven readers, only one verbalized what was going on, and even that was only a guess on his part.
- One thing I apparently failed to fix from the last section I brought, my character still isn't showing enough of her alleged skepticism. She's still taking what's told to her at face value.
- The 5% of "Battle of the Moon" fail had to do with exactly how the MC stumbled onto it.